Rated 5 out of 5 by Derek960 Finally a great LED replacement for Halogen MR16 lamps
I've replaced all my "screw-in" lamps with LED equivalents, but I have quite a few MR16 lamps in my home. For years I have searched but not found an acceptable LED for these fixtures - until now. The Soraa lamp uses less than 20% of the energy of my old Halogen lamps, and provides a beautiful quality of light throughout my home - even preferable to the Halogens they replaced. Great product!
November 22, 2014
Rated 4 out of 5 by CdLights Great light
wow, what a great lamp. has true colors
October 21, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by JohnFNH Right color temp, right brightness, great color rendition
I've been slowly converting the MR16 low-voltage track light fixtures in our kitchen from 50W halogen bulbs to the Soraa LED bulbs. My last order saw me buy enough bulbs to replace the last 10 heads to LED. It's absolutely beautiful -- the exact same halogen-like light, with absolutely vibrant reds, oranges, and other food colors! Bright red meats, apples, cherries all look great.
My only knocks on these bulbs are twofold:
a) They're a bit pricey, though this will come down as time goes on, I'm sure.
b) I wish there was a 50-degree wide flood bulb; in order to get the same coverage I will need to add more heads to make up for the narrower (36-degree) beam width.
May 21, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by Neil42 Excellent light for replacing MR16s
I've been looking for a high CRI (>90) for a bit of time in a 2700K temperature, and these fit the bill perfectly.
They are 50W equivalent, so if you have 35W Halogen MR16s these are brighter, but dimmable.
The fit my 12V Alfa lighting fixtures perfectly, and were an OK fit in the 12V canister wall wash lights installed in our house. OK meaning they fit, but the spring tabs in the ceiling light fixtures we had get caught on the bulb heatsink and you have to wiggle them in. Pro tip: get a pair or two of locking pliers or forceps to hold the spring clips to the side and the bulb installs easily.
They look great, and I would buy more for the rest of the house.
April 4, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by tovodeverett Expensive, but worth it!
I've been waiting for years for LED MR16 technology to get good enough for a specific application - a light bar mounted to the wall above our bed for reading. The existing bulbs were 20W halogens and they have never been bright enough. Using higher wattages wasn't an option - I was worried about heat buildup within the box, and the dimmer circuitry wasn't up to it either.
The Soraa Vivid 2 bulbs are amazing - bright, beautiful color rendering, aesthetically appealing, dimmable, and all in a much more efficient package.
I ended up replacing the existing touch dimmers with Hatch VS12-60WD transformers (which are on the Soraa approved list# using a potentiometer on the dimmer loop since my wife and I both wanted rotary dimmers with a hard off switch. I did testing with both the old and new dimmers and saw similar behavior.
We are both very happy with the bulbs and the light they generate, but there are three minor issues I should mention:
They don't dim as low as a halogen. The dynamic range of halogen bulbs with respect to dimming is much greater than with these. For this application, the lowest dimming setting is almost perfect, though - bright enough for one person to read #with nice white light) while the other falls asleep.
If you want the light leakage out the sides that you get with a halogen for aesthetic reasons, these aren't going to do that. But they are gorgeous bulbs that throw a beautifully shaped beam of light.
There is also a noticeable buzz when dimmed. It's most noticeable in the middle of the dimming range, and I observed it both with the older touch dimmer and the new Hatch dimmer. It's noticeable but not problematic at the lowest end of the dimming range, and the buzz disappears at full intensity. It is definitely noticeable in the middle of the dimming range, but my head is 4 feet or so from the bulbs. Again, it's not a problem for this application as 80% of the time we use them at full brightness and the other 20% we use them at the very bottom of the dimming range.
I had a very hard time detecting any audible artifacts at full intensity, and I'm sensitive enough that I can walk into a room and hear incandescent bulbs that aren't at 100% brightness.
I'd love it if there were a solution that eliminated the buzz, but I'm so happy with the bulbs' behavior in all other respects that I've given them 5 stars!
November 1, 2013